This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.

My cousin just sent me a text with a photo of a whole slew of plug adaptors asking: “Help! Which adaptors do I need for travel to the UK, Ireland, Europe, Argentina and Chile?”

As you can tell, he’s getting ready for a big trip and doesn’t remember which adaptors he needs. I also have a similar box full of plugs and adaptors so I’m guessing most frequent travelers do as well. So today’s tip is about what I do when I’m traveling internationally, especially to a country where I’m not familiar with their electrical outlets.

  1. I always travel with a universal plug so it can be used in 100 countries. I recommend always having a travel adapter like this in your bag.
  2. I usually bring one or two extra plug adaptors that pertain to that country just in case my universal charger breaks, I lose it or I need more than one thing charged. So I go through my box of adaptors and bring the appropriate ones.
  3. I consult to refresh my memory on what the plug looks like.
  4. I also bring a small power strip so I can charge more than one device at a time.
  5. I make sure I don’t bring anything that will break because the voltage is different. My wife has had her expensive hair flat iron pop in a hotel in Thailand once and that set us back $100.

10 Comments On "How to Know What Adaptors You Need For International Travel"
  1. Judy613|

    Don’t you also need an electrical converter in addition to the adapters? TIA

  2. Dennis Kamoen|

    Thanks for your Today’s Travel Tip Johnny. I agree with the previous comment, “Don’t you also need an electrical converter in addition to the adaptors?” and I would add that some devices automatically adjust to the local voltage, but you could please elaborate? Maybe tell us more in another post? Thanks, Cousin Dennis

  3. Robin|

    JohnnyYou mentioned three things you need for International Travel. i watched the video and read the article but only saw one, the adapter. what are the other 2?

    1. Johnny Jet|

      Hi Robin

      They’re there. One’s a small power strip and the other are individual plugs.

  4. Robin|

    What was that toy you tossed into the waves that came back. so cute and would love to find one for my grandson.


  5. Deb D|

    Thanks. Even with the correct adapter, my curling iron fried as well as some of my hair in Rwanda.

    1. Johnny Jet|


  6. Ed|

    Most of the time your links dont word, i.e. today’s international plug links to I suspect is Amazon…

    1. Johnny Jet|

      Which links?

Leave a Reply

Required fields are marked *