This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
The great thing about having one of the best hotel credit cards is that you can pretty much earn rewards no matter where you are in the world. Whether you’re finally able to take that trip across the country to see relatives, across the world to visit friends, or even just across town to change scenery, a hotel card that comes with perks can make that trip extra special. With that said, now can be one of the best times to review some of the best hotel credit cards in 2023. Not only can you get rewards specific to your lifestyle, but you can also get several free nights in the process while earning some incredible bonuses.
Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Enrollment may be required for select American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
The Best Hotel Credit Cards in 2023 (And Their Major Bonuses)
- Best Hotel Card Bonus: Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card – 100,000 Bonus Points
- Best Free Night Award: The World of Hyatt Credit Card – 60,000 points
- The Best for Non-Business People: IHG® Rewards Premier Credit Card – 175k points offer
- Best Card with No Annual Fee: The Hilton Honors American Express Card – 100,000 points offer
- The Best Card for Flexible Booking: Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card – 75,000 miles
- Best Hyatt Credit Card for Business Travelers: World of Hyatt Business Credit Card – 60,000 bonus points
- Best IHG Business Credit Card: IHG® Rewards Premier Business Credit Card – 140k Bonus Points
Other Good Credit Cards for Hotel Stays
- Flexible Rewards Credit Card for Hotel Purchases: Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Premium Flexibility for Hotel Purchases: Chase Sapphire Reserve®
- Credit Card for 4+ Night Stays: Citi Prestige® Credit Card
- $100 Annual Hotel Credit: Citi Premier® Card
- Luxury air and hotel perks: The Platinum Card® from American Express
Best Hotel Card Bonus: Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card
As Marriott and Starwood merged, Marriott launched several new credit cards. One of these new cards is the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card which replaced the current premium Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Credit Card. This Marriott credit card is the best hotel credit card for Marriott loyalists.
On each card anniversary, you also get one free night reward valid at any property that costs 35,000 points or less. You will also earn up to 17x Bonvoy points per $1 spent at over 7,000 hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy® with the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Card.
You can also earn 3x Bonvoy points per $1 on the first $6,000 spent in combined purchases each year on grocery stores, gas stations, and dining.
All remaining purchases will earn 2 points per $1 spent.
It is also one of the best Marriott credit cards.
Automatic Silver Elite status also gives you an extra 10% points on bonus stays. Other Silver Elite benefits include free in-room WiFi and late checkout. Spending $35,000 in a year, or the 15 Elite Night credits, gives you fast-track upgrade status to Gold Elite status.
There is a $95 annual fee.
There’s an exciting limited-time bonus offer! New Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card cardholders can earn 100,000 Bonus Points after spending $3,000 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
Another Marriott Option: Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card
The Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card is being mentioned because it has an exciting welcome bonus offer.
New Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card cardholders can earn 95,000 Marriott Bonvoy bonus points after using their new Card to make $5,000 in purchases on the Card within the first 3 months.
Each card renewal year, get up to $300 in statement credits per calendar year (up to $25 per month) for eligible purchases at restaurants worldwide.
Other featured benefits include 1 Free Night Award (redemption level at or under 85,000 points) annually after your card renewal month at participating Marriott Bonvoy properties (some hotels have resort fees), up to $100 property credit for qualifying charges at The Ritz-Carlton® or St. Regis® when you book direct using a special rate for a two-night minimum stay using your Card, and complimentary Priority Pass Select airport lounge access.
Additionally, cardholders can enjoy a fee credit for TSA PreCheck or Global Entry, up to $800 in cellphone protection, and 25 Elite Night Credits toward the next level of Marriott Bonvoy Elite status (terms apply).
- 6x points for each dollar of eligible purchases at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program
- 3x points at restaurants worldwide
- 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines
- 2x points on all other eligible purchases
Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite members earn 50% more points on eligible purchases at participating hotels for each U.S. dollar (or the currency equivalent) that is incurred and paid for by the member.
Each calendar year after spending $60,000 on eligible purchases, Card Members are eligible to select an Earned Choice Award benefit. Benefit options include Five (5) Suite Night Awards, an 85K Free Night Award, and a mattress and box spring $1,000 discount from Marriott Bonvoy Boutiques. Certain hotels have resort fees.
Although this card has a $650 annual fee and no foreign transaction fees (See Rates & Fees), it has plenty of benefits that are worth a lot more.
Learn more: Hotel Rewards Credit Cards
Best Free Night Award: The World of Hyatt Credit Card
Even if you only stay in a hotel one night a year, you can stay for free if you get a free night award. In most cases, the free hotel night cash value is greater than the card’s annual fee.
With The World of Hyatt Credit Card, your free annual hotel night after each card anniversary is valid at any category 1-4 Hyatt property. This free night alone is easily worth more than the $95 annual fee.
Hyatt also has one of the most generous reward night policies.
This is also one of the best credit cards for free hotel nights. Their free nights start at 5,000 points and max out at 30,000 points at a category 7 property. With most other hotel programs, 30,000 points only books a room at a mid-tier property. If you want to enjoy upscale travel at bargain prices, don’t overlook Hyatt.
You also have the opportunity to earn up to 60,000 bonus points as a welcome bonus. Earn 30,000 Bonus Points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. Plus, earn 2 Bonus Points per $1 spent on purchases that earn 1 Bonus Point, up to $15,000, in the first 6 months of account opening.
Additional perks include complimentary World of Hyatt Discoverist status for as long as your account is open, 5 tier qualifying night credits towards status after account opening, and each year after that for as long as your account is open, and an extra free night at any Category 1-4 Hyatt hotel if you spend $15,000 in a calendar year.
Cardholders also earn 2 qualifying night credits towards tier status every time you spend $5,000 on your card.
Plus, you can enjoy these tiered purchase rewards:
- 9 points per $1 spent on Hyatt purchases – 4 points per $1 when you use your card at Hyatt hotels & 5 points per $1 you can earn as a World of Hyatt member
- 2 points per $1 spent for restaurants, airline tickets purchased directly from the airline, local transit, and commuting, and on fitness club and gym memberships
If you frequent Hyatt properties, The World of Hyatt Credit Card is a great card to have in your wallet.
This card has a $95 annual fee.
For Non-Business People: IHG Rewards Premier Credit Card
The IHG® Rewards Premier Credit Card offers travel benefits and purchase rewards that benefit non-business travelers:
- Reward night annual certificate after account anniversary
- Earn up to 26x points total per $1 when you stay at an IHG hotel
- 5x points per $1 spent on purchases on travel, gas stations, and restaurants
- 3x points per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Global Entry, NEXUS, or TSA PreCheck fee credit
New IHG® Rewards Premier Credit Card cardholders can earn 175,000 Bonus Points after spending $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. This is the best points offer ever for this card!
There’s a $99 annual fee.
When you’re not traveling for business, the 5x bonus points give you the perfect opportunity to earn bonus points on your largest monthly spending categories (not including your rent or mortgage payment). If you want a credit card that offers hotel benefits and air travel benefits, it’s hard not to like the IHG Premier.
Automatic Platinum Elite status lets you enjoy space-available room upgrades and extended checkout. To earn this status without the card, you need to stay at least 40 nights per year.
This IHG Rewards Premier Card review can show you how you might get the most value out of this card.
Bonus Mention: The IHG Rewards Traveler Credit Card
If a no annual fee IHG card is more to your liking, then you’ll want to consider the IHG® Rewards Traveler Credit Card. When you redeem 3 Nights with the IHG Rewards Traveler Credit Card, you get the 4th Night Free. This card also earns:
- Up to 17x points total per $1 spent when you stay at an IHG hotel
- 3x points per $1 spent on purchases on monthly bills, gas stations, and restaurants
- 2x points per $1 spent on all other purchases
New IHG® Rewards Traveler Credit Card cardholders can earn 120,000 bonus points after spending $2,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening.
Again, this card has a $0 annual fee.
Read more in our IHG Rewards Traveler Credit Card review.
Best Hotel Credit Card with No Annual Fee: Hilton Honors American Express Card
For casual travelers that don’t need a free night award or for those that only need a secondary credit card, the Hilton Honors American Express Card is one of the best options without an annual fee (See rates & fees).
The Hilton Honors Card earns up to 7x Hilton Honors points per $1 spent:
- 7x points per $1 spent directly on eligible Hilton purchases charged directly with a hotel or resort within the Hilton Honors portfolio of brands
- 5x points for each $1 of eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants, U.S. gas stations, and U.S. supermarkets
- 3x points for each $1 of all remaining eligible purchases
This is one of the best Hilton credit cards.
You will also enjoy complimentary Hilton Honors Silver status. That earns you a 5th night free on reward stays, elite rollover nights, and two water bottles per stay. Spend $20,000 in a year to upgrade to Hilton Honors Gold status through the end of the next calendar year.
New The Hilton Honors American Express Card cardholders can earn 100,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points after spending $2,000 in purchases on the Card in the first 6 months of Card Membership. This offer ends on 04/05/2023.
Learn more: Hotel Rewards Credit Cards
Bonus: Hilton Honors American Express Surpass Card
A Hilton option that comes with a bit more is the Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card. Cardholders earn:
- 12x Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases charged on your Card directly with a hotel or resort within the Hilton portfolio
- 6x Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases on your Card at:
- U.S. restaurants
- U.S. supermarkets
- And at U.S. gas stations
- 3x Hilton Honors Bonus Points for all other eligible purchases on your Card
They can also earn a Free Night Reward from Hilton Honors after spending $15,000 on purchases on their Card in a calendar year. Plus, spend $40,000 on eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year, and you can earn Hilton Honors Diamond status through the end of the next calendar year.
New The Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card cardholders can earn 150,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points after spending $3,000 in purchases on the Card in the first 6 months of Card Membership. This offer ends on 04/05/2023.
The annual fee is $95 (See Rates & Fees).
Best Hotel Credit Card for Business Travelers: World of Hyatt Business Credit Card
There hadn’t been a specific card for business travelers looking for a specific hotel business credit card—until now. The first-ever World of Hyatt Business Credit Card comes with several exciting perks that can add value to stays at this major hotel brand.
For starters, cardholders earn:
- 9x total bonus points on Hyatt stays (4x Bonus Points per $1 spent at Hyatt hotels, participating Small Luxury Hotels of the World, participating Exhale locations, and eligible Lindblad Expeditions, plus 5x Base Bonus Points from Hyatt per eligible $1 spent for being a World of Hyatt member)
- 2x Bonus Points per $1 spent in your top three spend categories each quarter through 12/31/23, then your top two categories each quarter; eligible categories include:
- airline tickets when purchased directly with the airline
- local transit and commuting
- social media and search engine advertising
- car rental agencies
- gas stations
- internet, cable, and phone services
- 2x bonus points per $1 spent on fitness club and gym memberships
- 1x bonus points per $1 spent on everything else
Additionally, cardholders can enjoy up to $100 annually in Hyatt credits each anniversary year. To earn the credit, spend $50 or more at any Hyatt property and earn a $50 statement credit, up to two times each anniversary year.
Cardholders also get access to the Hyatt Leverage Program which can save companies an average of $350 annually. Cardholders also get immediate World of Hyatt Discoverist status with their card.
Those who spend $50,000 or more in a calendar year will get 10% of their redeemed points back for the rest of the year.
New World of Hyatt Business Credit Card cardholders can earn 60,000 Bonus Points after they spend $5,000 on purchases in their first 3 months from account opening.
The annual fee is $199.
Best IHG Business Credit Card Option: IHG Rewards Premier Business Credit Card
This IHG® Rewards Premier Business Credit Card is the best for business owners who frequently use IHG properties. And with so many IHG properties around the globe, it’s nice and easy to have so many options to work with.
IHG Rewards Premier Business Credit Card cardholders earn:
- Up to 26x points total per $1 spent when they stay at an IHG hotel
- 5x points per $1 spent on purchases on:
- Gas stations
- Select advertising
- 3x points per $1 spent on all other purchases
Enjoy a Reward Night after each account anniversary year at eligible IHG hotels worldwide. Plus, enjoy a reward night when you redeem points for a consecutive four-night IHG® hotel stay.
As long as you remain a Premier Business card member, you will have Platinum Elite status.
Platinum Elite status and Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, or a NEXUS Statement Credit are also included with this card.
New IHG® Rewards Premier Business Credit Card cardholders can earn 140,000 bonus points after spending $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
The annual fee is $99. There are no foreign transaction fees. Additionally, employee cards are free and also earn points.
Best Credit Card for Flexible Booking: Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
If you’re not loyal to one particular hotel brand, the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card gets you 2x miles per $1 on every purchase. However, earn 5x miles on hotels and rental cars booked through Capital One Travel. Plus, Venture cardholders will earn 5x miles when booking through the Turo app or on Turo.com (through May 16, 2023).
You can redeem these rewards miles for future award travel purchases or as a statement credit. This card is a great option if you want flexibility and you simply want a room that’s clean and comfortable.
This card also comes with a fee credit for TSA PreCheck or Global Entry.
The annual fee is $95.
Enjoy a one-time bonus of 75,000 miles once you spend $4,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $750 in travel, with the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card.
Bonus: Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card
The Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card is a great option if you want premium benefits, such as a fee credit of up to $100 for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck, Priority Pass lounge access, and up to $300 back annually as statement credits for bookings through Capital One Travel.
Cardholders also earn unlimited:
- 10x miles on hotels and rental cars booked through Capital One Travel
- 5x miles on flights booked through Capital One Travel
- 2x miles on all other purchases
Earn 75,000 bonus miles when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening, equal to $750 in travel, with the Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card.
Everybody needs something different from their hotel credit card. Maybe you want to pick up a loyalty card because your company encourages you to stay at one brand when you travel and you want to accelerate your travel benefits. Whether you stay in a hotel a few times a year or a few times a week, these best hotel credit cards can be one of the most valuable credit cards you keep in your wallet.
Are you currently using the best credit card for hotel purchases? While they have their own perks and benefits, owning a co-brand hotel credit card isn’t always the right option. Here are some choices that give you more flexibility.
Flexible Rewards Credit Cards for Hotel Purchases: Chase Sapphire Preferred Card
If you’re not loyal to a particular hotel brand, a co-brand hotel credit card isn’t much value beyond the free anniversary nights. That’s why you should consider the Chase Sapphire Preferred. That’s how the best hotel credit card possibly won’t be co-branded with a hotel.
There are additional Chase Sapphire reward categories. The Chase Sapphire Preferred earns unlimited:
- 5x points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards® (excluding hotel purchases that qualify for the $50 Anniversary Hotel Credit)
- 3x points on dining (including eligible delivery services, takeout, and dining out)
- 3x points on online grocery purchases (excluding Target®, Walmart®, and wholesale clubs)
- Also 3x points on select streaming services
- 2x points on all other travel purchases
- 1x point per $1 spent on all non-bonus purchases
There is a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit. It comes in the form of a statement credit that will automatically be applied to your account when your card is used for hotel accommodation purchases made through the Ultimate Rewards program, up to an annual maximum accumulation of $50.
Plus, on each account anniversary, you’ll earn bonus points equal to 10% of your total purchases made the previous year. So, if you spend $25,000 on purchases, you’ll get 2,500 bonus points.
Additional Sapphire Preferred Perks
You can transfer your Chase Ultimate Rewards points on a 1:1 basis to these hotel partners:
- IHG Rewards
- Marriott Bonvoy
- World of Hyatt
You can begin booking award nights for 5,000 points and find a quality property in nearly any travel destination. In addition to these hotel transfer partners, Chase Sapphire Preferred owners can also transfer points to frequent flyer programs including United, Southwest Airlines, and British Airways Avios. You can also enjoy a primary rental car collision damage waiver.
New Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card cardholders can earn 60,000 bonus points after spending $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That’s $750 when redeemed through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
It’s also one of the best metal credit cards you can have in your wallet, making it reliable and stronger against wear and tear.
Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories with the Chase Pay Yourself Back feature.
You can see how the Chase Sapphire Preferred and Capital One Venture Rewards, two top travel rewards cards with $95 annual fees, compare.
Premium Flexible Rewards: Chase Sapphire Reserve
The Chase Sapphire Reserve® earns 5x total points on flights and 10x total points on hotels and car rentals when you purchase travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards® immediately after the first $300 is spent on travel purchases annually. Earn 3x points on other travel and dining & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases.
If you choose the premium Sapphire Reserve over the Preferred, you will also enjoy these air travel benefits:
- $300 travel credit
- $100 Global Entry/TSA PreCheck application fee reimbursement
- Priority Pass Select lounge membership
- Special on-property benefits from The Luxury Hotel and Resort Collection
Other premium credit cards only let you redeem your travel credit for baggage fees, in-flight purchases, and seat upgrades. It can be hard to redeem your travel credit if you rarely encounter one of these three travel fees.
New Chase Sapphire Reserve® cardholders can earn 60,000 bonus points after spending $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That’s $900 toward travel when redeemed through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
The annual fee is $550.
Credit Card for 4+ Night Stays: Citi Prestige Credit Card
The information for the Citi Prestige Credit Card has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Some hotel rewards programs like Hilton Honors and Marriott Bonvoy offer a free night on a multi-night reward stay, but this benefit can pale in comparison to the Citi Prestige® Credit Card 4th night free benefit. Plus, the Citi Prestige earns 3x points per $1 on hotel purchases.
When you book any 4+ night stay through ThankYou.com, you only have to pay the hotel fees and taxes for that fourth night. This complimentary 4th night at a hotel of your choice is based on your average night stay. However, this benefit is capped at 2 times each calendar year.
The 4th night free is the largest selling point of the Citi Prestige, but you can also enjoy these benefits:
- $250 annual air travel credit
- $100 Global Entry application fee credit
- 5x points on air travel and restaurants
- 3x points on cruises and hotels
- 1x point on all remaining purchases
- 1:1 airline point transfers
This is also one of the best Citi credit cards to consider for your travels.
Bonus Citi Option: The Citi Premier Card
The Citi Premier® Card is another excellent travel rewards card as well as a hotel credit card option. Cardholders can enjoy $100 off a single hotel stay of $500 or more, excluding taxes and fees, through thankyou.com once per calendar year.
This can be one of the best hotel credit cards.
Additionally, earn 3x ThankYou points on these purchases:
- Air travel
- Gas stations
Each non-bonus purchase earns 1 point per $1.
One additional benefit that can cover the annual fee is the yearly $100 hotel savings credit. When booking a single $500+ hotel stay through thankyou.com, you automatically redeem the benefit.
New Citi Premier® Card cardmembers can earn 60,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after spending $4,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening. This bonus is redeemable for $600 in gift cards when redeemed at thankyou.com.
The annual fee is $95, and there is no foreign transaction fee.
The Platinum Card from American Express
Another luxury option that comes with flexibility is The Platinum Card® from American Express. It earns 5x Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel, up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year, and earns 5x Membership Rewards® points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
Cardholders can get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings with American Express Travel when they pay with your Platinum Card®.
Also, select one qualifying airline and then receive up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year when incidental fees are charged by the airline to your Card.
Other benefits include entertainment credits, airport benefits, and more. It is also one of the best American Express cards.
New The Platinum Card® from American Express cardmembers can earn 80,000 Membership Rewards® points after spending $6,000 on purchases on their new Card in the first 6 months of Card Membership.
Learn more: Johnny Jet Recommended Credit Cards
The annual fee is $695 (See Rates & Fees) but can be offset with the perks valued at over $1,400.
If you’re loyal to a particular hotel brand, their rewards card can be a good option because they offer the most points per dollar spent as a loyalty bonus. But, if you need the flexibility to stay for free at multiple hotel chains or you occasionally want to use your points for non-hotel rewards, the Sapphire and Citi ThankYou credit cards are good options for hotel purchases.
- How to Avoid Hotel and Resort Fees
- Best Credit Cards for Hotel Elite Status
- The Best Gas Credit Cards
- Best Hotel Credit Card Offers
For rates and fees of the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card, please click here.
For rates and fees of the Hilton Honors American Express Card, please click here.
Also, for rates and fees of the Hilton Honors American Express Surpass Card, please click here.
And for rates and fees of The Platinum Card® from American Express, please click here.
- 1 The Best Hotel Credit Cards in 2023 (And Their Major Bonuses)
- 2 Best Hotel Card Bonus: Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card
- 3 Best Free Night Award: The World of Hyatt Credit Card
- 4 For Non-Business People: IHG Rewards Premier Credit Card
- 5 Best Hotel Credit Card with No Annual Fee: Hilton Honors American Express Card
- 6 Best Hotel Credit Card for Business Travelers: World of Hyatt Business Credit Card
- 7 Best IHG Business Credit Card Option: IHG Rewards Premier Business Credit Card
- 8 Best Credit Card for Flexible Booking: Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
- 9 Flexible Rewards Credit Cards for Hotel Purchases: Chase Sapphire Preferred Card
- 10 Premium Flexible Rewards: Chase Sapphire Reserve
- 11 Credit Card for 4+ Night Stays: Citi Prestige Credit Card
- 12 The Platinum Card from American Express
- 13 Summary