2020 is the year of the road trip and if you’re looking for the ultimate itinerary, then look no further. Dr. Randy Olson, the Chief Data Scientist at FOXO Bioscience, where he brings advanced data science and machine learning technology to the life insurance industry, has created an epic road U.S. road trip by using a combination of genetic algorithms and Google Maps.
Dr. Olson created this road trip so followers can take a picture in front of the 48 State Capitols in the contiguous United States in 8 1/2 days and only 13,310 miles (21,420 km). Olson writes on his blog, RandalOlson.com, “The best part is that this road trip is designed so that you can start anywhere on the route: As long as you follow the route from wherever you start, you’ll hit every state capitol in the 48 contiguous U.S. states, and as an added bonus, you can even add Washington, D.C. to the route without adding any extra miles.”
Here’s the full list of capitols in order:
- State House, 107 North Main Street, Concord, NH 03303
- Maine State House, Augusta, ME 04330
- Vermont State House, 115 State Street, Montpelier, VT 05633
- New York State Capitol, State St. and Washington Ave, Albany, NY 12224
- New Jersey State House, Trenton, NJ 08608
- Pennsylvania State Capitol Building, North 3rd Street, Harrisburg, PA 17120
- West Virginia State Capitol, Charleston, WV 25317
- Ohio State Capitol, 1 Capitol Square, Columbus, OH 43215
- Kentucky State Capitol Building, 700 Capitol Avenue, Frankfort, KY 40601
- Tennessee State Capitol, 600 Charlotte Avenue, Nashville, TN 37243
- Indiana State Capitol, Indianapolis, IN 46204
- Michigan State Capitol, Lansing, MI 48933
- Illinois State Capitol, Springfield, IL 62756
- 2 E Main St, Madison, WI 53703
- Minnesota State Capitol, St Paul, MN 55155
- 500 E Capitol Ave, Pierre, SD 57501
- North Dakota State Capitol, Bismarck, ND 58501
- Montana State Capitol, 1301 E 6th Ave, Helena, MT 59601
- Washington State Capitol Bldg, 416 Sid Snyder Ave SW, Olympia, WA 98504
- Oregon State Capitol, 900 Court St NE, Salem, OR 97301
- L St & 10th St, Sacramento, CA 95814
- Nevada State Capitol, Carson City, NV 89701
- 700 W Jefferson St, Boise, ID 83720
- Utah State Capitol, Salt Lake City, UT 84103
- Wyoming State Capitol, Cheyenne, WY 82001
- 200 E Colfax Ave, Denver, CO 80203
- New Mexico State Capitol, Santa Fe, NM 87501
- Arizona State Capitol, 1700 W Washington St, Phoenix, AZ 85007
- Texas Capitol, 1100 Congress Avenue, Austin, TX 78701
- Oklahoma State Capitol, Oklahoma City, OK 73105
- 300 SW 10th Ave, Topeka, KS 66612
- Nebraska State Capitol, 1445 K Street, Lincoln, NE 68509
- Iowa State Capitol, 1007 E Grand Ave, Des Moines, IA 50319
- Missouri State Capitol, Jefferson City, MO 65101
- Arkansas State Capitol, 500 Woodlane Street, Little Rock, AR 72201
- 400-498 N West St, Jackson, MS 39201
- Louisiana State Capitol, Baton Rouge, LA 70802
- 402 S Monroe St, Tallahassee, FL 32301
- Alabama State Capitol, 600 Dexter Avenue, Montgomery, AL 36130
- Georgia State Capitol, Atlanta, GA 30334
- South Carolina State House, 1100 Gervais Street, Columbia, SC 29201
- North Carolina State Capitol, Raleigh, NC 27601
- Virginia State Capitol, Richmond, VA 23219
- Maryland State House, 100 State Cir, Annapolis, MD 21401
- Legislative Hall: The State Capitol, Legislative Avenue, Dover, DE 19901
- Connecticut State Capitol, 210 Capitol Ave, Hartford, CT 06106
- Rhode Island State House, 82 Smith Street, Providence, RI 02903
- Massachusetts State House, Boston, MA 02108Here are the Google Maps for the road trip:     
Randy also created shorter road trips like this one, which will take you to 10 U.S. state capitols in 24 hours. This one is very enticing and doable. Check it out here.
Have your own tip? Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,778!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Enter your email address and check “Daily Travel Tip” to receive Johnny’s best tips in your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check “Daily Travel Tip” on the same page. You’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
In 1972 we dipped our toe in the cold Atlantic in St.John’s Newfoundland, hitched a rain cloud to our back bumper & camped all the way in the rain until we reached Victoria BC. We then returned through the northern US to what was then our home in Montreal.
Lesson learned is slow & steady wins the race. In northern Ontario we met a couple in a VW camper bus doing the same route. I drove at 100 mph but the ladies had me stopping multiple times while the VW plodded along at 50 mph. We saw them every single night all the way through to the west coast. They may have checked in an hour later, but they made it.