I’ve written before about how helpful Global Entry can be. If you’re a frequent or even semi-frequent traveler, applying for Global Entry ($100 for five years) will put you on the road to faster, easier experiences at U.S. immigration and customs.
If you’re in the NYC area, this may be a good time to get it. As Michael W Travels reports, Global Entry interviews—the second half of the Global Entry approval process—will be available at NYC’s Penn Station from June 26 (next Monday) to July 28 courtesy of a United Airlines promotion. Due to demand, people have had to schedule their Global Entry interviews months in advance in NYC and other cities, so this additional option should be a big help for people in the region.
To take advantage, you just have to apply for Global Entry online (see this post), and when the time comes to schedule an interview, you must search for UNITED16 to schedule your appointment at Penn Station using the GOES scheduling system.
Already, it seems that interviews are hard to come by at Penn Station. But like with all Global Entry locations, there are tips to keep in mind when applying and scheduling an interview:
- Check the GOES site frequently because people cancel often and time slots randomly open up
- Keep in mind that walk-in interviews are available at some locations
- If passing through a city in less demand, try to book your appointment there. (H/T to Pat B)
- Use a credit card that will reimburse your $100 fee (see options here)
- If you attend any large travel-related conferences, check to see if they’ll be offering Global Entry appointments (I’ve been to such conferences where people didn’t know because they hadn’t taken the time to read the program or ask)
- The process takes time, so plan well in advance!
What was your Global Entry interview experience? Share your tips below!
Tried this tip? Let me know in the comments!
Have your own tip? Email it to email@example.com!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 960!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Just fill in your email address and check the Daily Travel Tip box—and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box on the same page and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.