On Friday, the CDC quietly removed its recommendation of a 14-day quarantine for Americans returning to American soil. In its previous language, according to USA TODAY, it “recommended a 14-day quarantine for those returning from international destinations or areas with a high concentration of coronavirus cases.” Now, the CDC’s travel advisory reads as follows: “Follow state, territorial, tribal and local recommendations or requirements after travel.” You can see the CDC’s full tips of what to do after you travel below (from the official page):
After You Travel
“You may have been exposed to COVID-19 on your travels. You may feel well and not have any symptoms, but you can be contagious without symptoms and spread the virus to others. You and your travel companions (including children) pose a risk to your family, friends, and community for 14 days after you were exposed to the virus. Regardless of where you traveled or what you did during your trip, take these actions to protect others from getting sick after you return:
- When around others, stay at least 6 feet (about 2 arms’ length) from other people who are not from your household. It is important to do this everywhere, both indoors and outdoors.
- Wear a mask to keep your nose and mouth covered when you are outside of your home.
- Wash your hands often or use hand sanitizer (with at least 60% alcohol).
- Watch your health and look for symptoms of COVID-19. Take your temperature if you feel sick.
- Follow state, territorial, tribal and local recommendations or requirements after travel.”
This is obviously great news for travelers and the travel industry, because though people obviously aren’t traveling in numbers right now, not many people can afford or want to stay home for two weeks after they’ve been traveling. But is it good news for the general public? The pandemic isn’t over. Only time will tell, but if you do travel overseas, I’d stay away from others, wear a mask and get tested once you’re back just to be sure.
Have your own tip? Email it to email@example.com!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,781!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Enter your email address and check “Daily Travel Tip” to receive Johnny’s best tips in your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check “Daily Travel Tip” on the same page. You’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.