This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
Not using all of your card benefits can be a waste of benefits. Whether you’re traveling this spring or are ready to complete tasks on your spring cleaning/refresh to-do list, these American Express card perks may help you save some money.
Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Enrollment may be required for select American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
Uber Cash for Commuting or Food Delivery
A monthly Uber Cash statement credit can offset your ridesharing costs to the office or airport and cover meal deliveries.
These two cards offer Uber Cash benefits:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express: Up to $200 per year (You can receive up to $15 in Uber credits (U.S. rides only) each month. In December, you’ll get a bonus $20 in addition to your usual $15 – for up to $200 in credits yearly (on U.S rides and eats). Plus, you’ll receive automatic Uber VIP status with the service’s loyalty program. (Note the annual fee is $695; See Rates & Fees).
- American Express® Gold Card: Up to $120 per year (You can get $10 in Uber Cash per month to use on Uber rides or toward Uber Eats orders in the U.S. (Gold Card must be added to the Uber app to receive the Uber Cash benefit). You’ll still earn 4X Membership Rewards points on food delivery in the U.S. (Note the annual fee is $250; See Rates & Fees).
You can use this monthly benefit for Uber rides, or Uber Eats purchases.
In addition to the complimentary Uber Cash, the Amex Gold also gives you up to $120 per year ($10 monthly) in dining statement credits. Some of the participating restaurant partners include Grubhub and Ruth’s Chris Steak House.
Learn more: Johnny Jet Recommended Credit Cards
Equinox Fitness Perks
The Platinum Card is best known for its array of travel benefits like the Global Lounge Collection and the up to $200 airline fee credit (up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year for fees like baggage fees at one qualifying airline).
In recent years, this card also has begun offering lifestyle and fitness perks.
One of the best benefits can be the annual $300 Equinox statement credit. This benefit reimburses these purchases with a monthly $25 statement credit on eligible Equinox memberships (enrollment required):
- Equinox+ digital fitness app
- Equinox club memberships
It’s possible to take live or on-demand fitness classes from home or while you’re traveling.
Another way to enjoy your Equinox benefits on the go is by stopping by the EQX Body Lab at the Centurion Lounge in New York-JFK airport.
When at home, your home gym setup can get a boost with a $300 statement credit after purchasing a SoulCycle at-home bike. This equipment integrates with the Equinox+ fitness app.
Related: Best American Express Cards
Shopping and Entertainment Credits
Some of the other lesser-known benefits of the Amex Platinum can help you save money at the cash register or checkout screen:
- Saks Fifth Avenue: Up to $100 Saks Fifth Avenue credit ($50 semi-annually, enrollment required)
- Digital entertainment credit: Get up to $20 in statement credits each month when paying for eligible purchases with the Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- Walmart+ credit: Up to $155 per year to reimburse your monthly Walmart+ membership (This covers the cost of a $12.95 monthly Walmart+ membership with a statement credit after you pay for Walmart+ each month with your Platinum Card. Cost includes $12.95 plus applicable local sales tax).
This can be one of the best cards for streaming services.
Membership Rewards Redemptions
Typically, American Express Membership Rewards® points are most valuable for award flights. But if you’re not booking a flight soon and have a hole burning in your pocket, you can have several other ways to redeem your points.
Your best non-travel option can be for gift cards as you can find gift cards for your favorite restaurants, home improvement stores, office supply stores, and department stores.
These cards can help you pay for projects like sprucing up your backyard patio or finally upgrading your work-from-home office furniture.
Paying off your balance each month maximizes your spending power as you earn rewards points and avoid interest charges. But, sometimes, you need a little extra time to pay off a surprise bill.
American Express has two ways to get financing with a fixed payment plan to avoid runaway costs:
- Plan It: Repay purchases above $100 with a series of preset monthly payments.
- Personal loans: Borrow up to $40,000 with a fixed interest rate and no origination or prepayment penalties. Choose this option for purchases exceeding $3,500.
In addition to these financing options, you can also put your spare cash to good use with a fee-free American Express Rewards Checking account. Your balance earns interest, and your debit card purchases earn Membership Rewards points.
Related: The Best Checking Account Bonuses
The American Express card and banking perks can make it easier to accomplish your spring goals whether it’s self-care, refreshing your wardrobe, or tackling home improvement projects.
- Are You Getting Amex Cell Phone Insurance?
- Best Credit Cards For Dining, Restaurants, Takeout, & More
- The Best Small Business Credit Cards for Travel Rewards
For rates and fees of The American Express® Gold Card, please click here.
For rates and fees of The Platinum Card® from American Express, please click here.
Eligibility and Benefit level varies by Card. Terms, Conditions and Limitations Apply. Please visit americanexpress.com/