This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
Many platforms offer a bonus when you refer a friend. This American Express friend referral bonus lets you earn 5% more rewards at U.S. supermarkets when they successfully sign up for a participating rewards card before June 7, 2023.
Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Enrollment may be required for select American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
How the Amex Refer a Friend Bonus Works
Eligible card members for many of the best American Express cards can be eligible for a targeted referral bonus to earn a bonus of 5% back, or 5x Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets.
This bonus is in addition to the standard amount earned on qualifying grocery purchases. So, for instance, you can earn a total of 6% back instead of the standard 1% back. The 5% bonus applies to the first $25,000 in U.S. supermarket purchases during the first 3 months.
To qualify for this bonus, you will send an invitation to apply through your card dashboard. It can be by email, social media, or by sharing a direct link. Next, your friend will need to apply before June 7, 2023. Once their application is approved, your 3-month bonus period applies.
Your friend won’t earn bonus points on groceries like you, but they can earn the current welcome offer. It can potentially be a limited-time offer, depending on the card.
Participating Cards in the Amex Refer a Friend Bonus
The Amex refer a friend bonus is available when referring friends to get one of these cards:
- Amex EveryDay® Credit Card
- Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card
- American Express® Gold Card
- American Express® Green Card
- Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
- Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
- Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card
- Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card
- And the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card
- Platinum Card® from American Express
If you have one of the above cards, you can earn a bonus of up to $1,250 back or up to an extra 1,250 Membership Rewards points for successful referrals.
Best American Express Offers
Your friend will be eligible for the current bonus for that particular card. Additionally, eligible new Card Members, referred by a fellow Card Member, can get a limited-time offer when they apply by 6/7/23 for the following two cards:
- American Express® Gold Card: Eligible Card Members can earn 60,000 Membership Rewards Points after they spend $4,000 on eligible purchases on the Card within the first 6 months of Card Membership. Plus, they can also earn up to $200 in statement credits, on eligible purchases made with the American Express Gold Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership. Terms apply.
- American Express Blue Cash Preferred® Card: Eligible Card Members can earn a $250 statement credit after they spend $3,000 or more on eligible purchases on the Card within the first 6 months of Card Membership. Plus, they can also earn up to $100 statement credit on eligible purchases made with the American Express Blue Cash Preferred Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership. Terms apply.
In conclusion, American Express has some of the best rewards cards for travel and cash back. With the limited-time Amex refer a friend bonus, you can spread the joy to your friend, plus you each can earn a limited-time bonus. As groceries are a household staple, it can be easy to maximize this bonus.