You’ve gotta hand it to Xfinity for making a four-minute commercial with minimal product placement. After 37 years, E.T. returns to Earth to visit his friend Elliott over the holidays. During his stay, E.T. learns that Elliott now has a family of his own and that technology has completely changed on Earth since his last visit. It’s fun and even a little emotional—and it’s now going viral.
When I was growing up, E.T. (Steven Spielberg’s hit 1982 movie) was one of my favorite movies. It’s still on my all-time list, and to me, this subtle Xfinity ad feels like an extension of the movie. I’m almost embarrassed to admit it but I got goosebumps watching the opening. It’s worth watching, especially if you loved the original as much as I did.
E.T. returns: a “win-win”
Elliott, who in the clip has his own family with two kids, is played by actor Henry Thomas. In a statement quoted on CNET, Thomas says that E.T. returns, “the audience is going to get everything they want out of a sequel without the messy bits that could destroy the beauty of the original and the special place it has in people’s minds and hearts.” He also added that “it’s really a win-win,” and I agree.
More holiday travel videos
- Video: United Flight Attendant Sings Carols With Passengers During Delay
- Video: Air New Zealand’s “The Nicest Christmas Ever”
- Travel Video of the Week: WestJet Christmas Miracle
More holiday travel help
- 10 Ways to Find Cheap Christmas Flights
- A Christmas Day Travel Tip
- Ask a Pilot with Spencer: Christmas Lights from Above
- 10 Reasons to Visit Walt Disney World at Christmastime
- The Ultimate Children’s Christmas Book List
- You Can Go Ice Skating at These 3 Airports This Holiday Season
- When to Buy Holiday Flights According to a Major Flight Search Tool