How to Get to Newark Liberty from Manhattan
As you probably know, New York City is (essentially) served by three major airports: LaGuardia, JFK and Newark (New Jersey). I’ve written before about how to get to LaGuardia, and readers have weighed in to add their own advice. Well, straight from our editor’s recent report on United’s new route to Newcastle, England, here’s how to get to Newark Liberty International Airport from Midtown and more:
“Here’s the trip to Newark from Brooklyn, via the C train into Manhattan (with map for bearings):
- Go to New York Penn Station (A, C, E, 1, 2, 3 subway trains)
- Take a Northeast Corridor or North Jersey Coast Line train ($12.50; New Jersey Transit) to Newark Liberty International Airport Station (make sure it’s not an express train; it should say EWR or have an airplane icon)
- Take the AirTrain (built into the price you already paid above, as long as you selected the airport as your destination) from Newark Liberty International Airport Station to the airport and get off at your terminal (Terminal C for EWR-NCL)
It’s also not the only option. From 33rd Street (60 min) or World Trade Center (40 min), you can take the PATH train ($2.75) to Newark Penn Station, and from there, per reader Joshua A., continue on by either:
- Taking a Northeast Corridor or North Jersey Coast Line train (New Jersey Transit; $8.25, with AirTrain included), and the AirTrain in from there OR
- Taking a local bus (including 62, 67) for $1.50 directly to Terminal A (15 min), B or C
More directly, there’s the Newark Airport Express bus ($16 one-way, $28 roundtrip), which leaves every 15 minutes from outside Grand Central Station (41st Street between Park and Lexington Aves), Bryant Park (42nd Street and 5th Avenue) and the Port Authority Bus Station (41st Street between 8th and 9th Aves) and skips step 3, dropping off directly at the airport.
Then there’s cab/Uber (probably $45 from Midtown)…”
Check out Ian’s story for more, to chime in and for a look at the new flight to Newcastle.
Tried this tip? Let me know in the comments!
Have your own tip? Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 485!
Want even more travel tips? Subscribe to the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! All you have to do is sign up for the weekly newsletter by filling in your email address and checking the Daily Travel Tip box in the top-right corner of the homepage.
If you already subscribe to the newsletter, fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box in the same top-right corner of the homepage and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day. And don’t worry—it’s easier than it sounds!