According to the Weather Channel, “Hurricane Ian is gaining strength in the Gulf of Mexico and headed for a potentially catastrophic strike on Florida beginning (as of 1:45am ET on Wednesday, September 28). Here’s the NOAA’s page for Hurricane Ian.
We’re thinking of everyone in her path and hope this resource page helps you make your travels smoother, get to safety, assist those affected (see “HOW TO HELP” below), or simply stay up to date.
AIRLINE TRAVEL POLICIES
Air Canada | Alaska | American Airlines | Delta | Frontier | JetBlue | Spirit | United | WestJet | Every airline website and phone umber
CRUISE LINE POLICIES
Carnival Cruise Line | Celebrity Cruises | Disney Cruise Line | MSC Cruises | Norwegian Cruise Line | Royal Caribbean | Cruise Critic
GROUND TRANSPORTATION POLICIES
Amtrak | Greyhound
ABC | CNN | FOX | NBC | NPR | NOAA’s Hurricane Tracker | USA Today | NY Times | Washington Post | WSJ | Weather.com
TOP IAN STORIES (UPDATED: September 28 at 1:45am ET)
- Weather Channel: Hurricane Ian Heads Toward Potentially Catastrophic Strike On Florida
- ABC News: Hurricane Ian’s latest: Residents told to act ‘now’ as Florida braces for landfall
- CNN: Hurricane Ian knocked out power to all of Cuba and is now heading toward Florida where officials urge evacuations
- FOX News: Hurricane Ian strengthens, Florida officials warn residents to be cautious
- NYT: Hurricane Ian Takes Aim at Florida After Leaving Cuba in the Dark
WHO TO FOLLOW ON TWITTER
#HurricaneIan | @NOAAHurricaneHunters | Live Airline Twitter Feed | @WeatherChannel | @RedCross | @ASPCA | @FEMA | @WunderGround
Extreme weather cams | Florida Beach Cams
APPS TO DOWNLOAD
The Hurricane App That Floridians and Others Use | Hurricane Tracker | NOAA Now for iOS | NOAA Weather for Android
HOW TO HELP
American Red Cross | Team Rubicon
GOOD TO KNOW
- Call 311 not 911 for downed trees and flooding. 911 should only be dialed for true emergencies.
- What to Do: Weather Delays and Flight Cancellations
- Flight delay information – air traffic control system command center
- Flight trackers
- Every hotel website and phone #
- Every car rental website and phone #
- Every cruise line website and phone #
GOOD TO KNOW FOR NEXT STORM
Buy travel insurance as soon as you purchase your trip because once a storm is formed you can’t buy it. I use Allianz Travel Insurance. Full disclosure: I work as an ambassador for Allianz Global Assistance (AGA Service Company) and receive financial compensation.