The weather is warming (slowly, in places like New York), and that means many around the country are looking ahead at mosquito season. To help you fight back, Mosquito Squad, a mosquito and tick control operation (they come to your yard), has offered tips to anyone looking for easy ways to repel the bugs and/or alleviate the itch from new or past bites.
General tips to repel mosquitos:
- Scent: A wide range of fragrances are known to attract mosquitos whether it’s in perfume, cologne, and even hand cream. If you are traveling to an area where mosquitos are prevalent, it’s best to switch to as many unscented products as you can to avoid attraction.
- Color: Mosquitos are highly visual creatures, and research shows that insect behavior can be influenced by color. Mosquitos tend to be attracted to dark colors, so it’s always better to lean toward light-colored attire when you’ll be outside.
DIY tips for bites using items you can find easily, or you might’ve even packed:
- Toothpaste: Use a paste that has a mint flavor. This will create a cooling sensation that will reduce swelling and the urge to itch.
- Green tea bag: Hold a refrigerated, damp green tea bag on the bite. The tea compounds help with inflammation and the cold assists in soothing the itch.
- Banana peel: This ancient Chinese remedy involves rubbing the inside of a banana peel directly on the affected bite area. This is known to moisturize and neutralize the itching, and the sugars in the banana will assist in soothing the redness.
Have your own tip? Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,430!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Just fill in your email address and check the Daily Travel Tip box—and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box on the same page and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.