This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
If you’re a regular American Airlines flyer, there’s a new way to accumulate frequent flyer miles while doing something that may be part of your weekly routine. The airline is partnering with Shell Fuel Rewards to help users earn AAdvantage miles at Shell, including a 100 miles bonus on your first fill-up.
Link Your Shell and AAdvantage Miles Accounts
The signup process is easy but is slightly different if you’re already part of the Shell Fuel Rewards network.
New Shell Fuel Rewards Members
The first step is to join the Shell Fuel Rewards program and link your American Airlines account. It’s free, and you can do it here.
You will earn 100 AAdvantage Miles when you join the Fuel Rewards program as a new member and complete your first fill-up at Shell. It’s that easy. The purchase minimum is 5 gallons on your first purchase, and you must enroll by December 31, 2022.
Existing Shell Fuel Rewards Members
If you’re already a Fuel Rewards member, you can link your accounts and earn 2 AAdvantage miles per gallon at Shell stations.
Unfortunately, you won’t get the 100-mile signup bonus like first-time Fuel Rewards members.
The Fine Details
There are several terms and conditions to know about this promotion if you decide to enroll.
- Matching names: Your first and last names must match your American Airlines and Shell Fuel Rewards accounts to earn the bonus miles.
- No Shell Gold or Silver status: If you opt to earn AAdvantage miles, you won’t get the upfront discount of at least $0.05 per gallon. You must decide if the travel rewards or the cash savings are more valuable.
- Up to 40 miles per fill-up: You only earn miles on the first 20 gallons per purchase. So, if you have a bigger tank that’s almost empty, you may need to split your purchase to earn more.
- Signup bonus ends on 12/31/2022: The 100 miles signup bonus promotion currently only extends through December 31, 2022. You can continue earning 2x miles beyond 2022. This application deadline doesn’t impact current Fuel Rewards members.
- Won’t earn lifetime miles: The AA miles you earn from these purchases won’t apply toward your lifetime status.
Earn Credit Card Rewards Too
The Shell Fuel Rewards program is an effortless way to get more mileage from every gallon of gas you pump. After joining, you will receive a loyalty card (similar to a grocery store loyalty card) that you can scan before inserting your payment card.
After scanning your Shell Fuel Rewards card, you can pay at the pump with a rewards credit card.
As a result, you have the opportunity to earn 2x AAdvantage miles through Shell Fuel Rewards and gas station purchase rewards for your desired credit card.
The American Airlines and Shell Fuel Rewards partnership lets you earn 2 AAdvantage miles per $1. You can also earn credit card rewards allowing you receive more travel points/miles to book your next award flight sooner.