Earlier this month, Lonely Planet wrote up a unique app and tour company called Breakup Tours, which curates solo itineraries for people with broken hearts (who have recently broken up with their partners). The idea behind it is that travel can help heal a broken heart and break routine, an idea that has more than a little merit. Here’s how Lonely Planet described the app:
“The Breakup Tours app personalises the ideal solo tour for users. It recommends a wide variety of what it says are ‘heart-healing and soul-cleansing’ travel experiences around the world that can be tailored according to the user’s mood. It was developed by a Hong Kong-based company that believes that when the newly-separated stick to the same routine, they become very aware of the things that are missing from it. They believe that travelling allows people to take a break and gain new perspectives after a break-up. Their app also offers a facility called ‘Circles of Travelers’ for them to meet new friends.”
The Breakup Tours app is free for iOS, and itineraries and experiences built by the company are bookable within in. According to CNN, “experiences include an ‘Ending Ill-fated Love’ guided tour in Tainan, a three-hour tour to pray to the Chinese Cupids in temples and a Kintsugi (pottery repair) workshop in Tokyo where participants learn about the Japanese philosophy of wabi-sabi — to ’embrace the flawed, imperfect, yet wonderful things in life.’ Not thrilling enough? There’s also a ‘Real Gun Shooting Workshop’ in Chiang Mai.”
More on the Breakup Tours app
Per the App Store, the free Breakup Tours app includes the following features:
- Suggestions on itineraries based on your mood, preferred date, and city
- 100+ heart-healing and soul-cleansing activities based in cities around the world: Tokyo, Taipei, Bangkok, Tainan, Taichung, Kaoshiung, Chiang Mai, etc.
- Instant order of e-Travel voucher
- Join different Circles of Travelers and connect with like-minded friends!
- Tailor-made Breakup First Aid Kit. Get a chance to win air tickets and other heart-healing products
- IN-APP ‘Heartsaver’ will be your faithful companion, catering for your delicate needs