Last night, Frontier Airlines flight 2074 from Las Vegas to San Antonio was diverted to El Paso after six passengers in the front of the cabin felt ill. According to a Frontier spokesperson speaking to KTSM 9 News, it was “a fume event.”
A fume event? What the heck is a fume event?! It turns out it was a “possible carbon monoxide leak” according to emergency dispatchers heard on scanners. You know a spokesperson wouldn’t ever want to say that it was possibly a deadly carbon monoxide leak.
According to another local El Paso station, ABC-7, passengers said “they smelled strong chemical fumes midway through the flight, which prompted the emergency landing in El Paso.” And when they landed “you could see all the ambulances — yeah, dozens of ambulances, fire department and everything. Scared us to death. And then they told us, this is a quote, ‘if anyone else feels nauseous, sick to your stomach, please come to the front of the plane. Everyone else remain seated.'”
The spokesperson went on to say “the aircraft landed safely in El Paso. Customers remain in the airport at this time and are being provided food and will be re-accommodated on an alternate aircraft arriving from Denver later this evening which will transport them to their original destination of San Antonio.”
And guess what Frontier Airlines gave the passengers for their inconvenience? A $200 travel voucher for Frontier Airlines. Uh, no thank you. Won’t be flying them anytime soon.
I think the $200 voucher is amazing! It’s not their fault they have the leak and it could’ve happened on any airline!