I received an email from the US State Department with the subject line: Canada Travel Advisory: Level 3: Reconsider Travel, August 31, 2021
The email went on to warn U.S. citizens to “reconsider travel to Canada due to COVID-19.” I thought it was a joke because it really should be Canada warning their citizens not to visit the United States as our case numbers are much higher and our vaccination rates are much lower.
Keep in mind, only 52.7% of eligible Americans (age 12 and older) are fully vaccinated compared to 66.8% of Canadians. According to Google, Canada’s total COVID cases in the last 14 days (Aug 17–30) is 40,339 with 214 deaths. Meanwhile the United States over this same time period has 2,167,002 total cases and 16,837 deaths. I realize the US is 10 times the population but still, these numbers don’t even come anywhere close to the U.S.
Another thing to note is that the USA has the gall to keep the land border closed to Canadians but Canada has opened up theirs to vaccinated Americans. Sorry to say but I have a feeling Canada is about to close the curtain and I can’t say I would blame them.
The CDC advises “if you decide to travel to Canada:
- See the U.S. Embassy’s web page regarding COVID-19.
- Visit the CDC’s webpage on Travel and COVID-19.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Reports for Canada.
- Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.”