A note on the updated app: The new version of the Mobile Passport app limits certain features to holders of a premium subscription that costs $14.99/year. Notably, you must enter your personal data from scratch each trip, whereas with the old version your data was saved. If you have the old version (3.0.2 or earlier) already downloaded, don’t update it to avoid having your experience curtailed.
One of the best things to come to international travel in a while is Global Entry, which has kept me out of many long customs lines returning home. It’s well worth the $100 cost (good for five years).
Well now, U.S. citizens with a valid U.S. passport and Canadian citizens with both a valid Canadian passport and B1 or B2 Visa status can get basically a free version of Global Entry for travel through 21 U.S. airports and a cruise port—and it’s called Mobile Passport.
The free app for iOS and Android was created by the US government and lets you skip the usual customs line at US airports. With Mobil Passport, you just fill out your profile and answer the CBP’s questions—then go straight through the “Mobile Passport Control” express lane at the airport!
Here’s how it works (direct from the horse’s mouth):
- Step 1: Set Up Your Profile
Enter your profile information as it appears on your valid, official passport.You can set up profiles for your entire family. Your information will be encrypted and shared only with CBP.
- Step 2: Answer a Few Questions
Answer CBP’s four brief questions about your trip. Then carefully review ALL of your information for the trip.
- Step 3: Submit to CBP
Once you land, connect to wireless or wi-fi and submit your data to CBP. Remember: when you submit, you are confirming under penalty of law that your information is correct. Within a few seconds, you will receive a CBP receipt with an encrypted barcode. Your receipt will be valid for 4 hours.
- Step 4: Skip the Line & Save Time!
Follow the MOBILE PASSPORT CONTROL signs and skip the lines! Show your passport to the CBP officer and scan the barcode on the CBP receipt. And that’s it!
Mobile Passport is currently available at:
- Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI)
- Boston Logan International Airport (BOS)
- Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD)
- Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW)
- Dulles International Airport (IAD)
- Denver International Airport (DEN)
- Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL)
- Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)
- William P. Hobby Houston International Airport (HOU)
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
- Miami International Airport (MIA)
- Miami Seaport
- Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport (MSP)
- John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
- Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)
- Orlando International Airport (MCO)
- Palm Beach Seaport
- Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)
- Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)
- Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT)
- Port Everglades Seaport
- Portland International Airport (PDX)
- Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU)
- Sacramento International Airport (SMF)
- San Diego International Airport (SAN)
- San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
- San Jose International Airport (SJC)
- San Juan Airport (SJU)
- San Juan Seaport
- Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA)
- Tampa International Airport (TPA)