When my wife, son and I traveled to Seattle last month we were impressed by the airport’s organization for ride-sharing cars (drivers pull into a vacant labeled stall and then tell their passengers the row and number). One thing I noticed is that the airport had a sign for Uber, Lyft and Wingz. My wife and I both looked at each other and asked, “Have you heard of Wingz?” Neither of us had. It turns out the peer-to-peer transportation company has been around since 2015.
What makes them different is that they provide private, scheduled and fixed-price rides to and from a number of US airports. What’s great about them is that if you like a particular driver you can request them each time and the price doesn’t change, unlike with Uber or Lyft. They also supposedly require each driver to submit to DMV, criminal, and fingerprinted background checks before joining the Wingz team. It’s a bit more expensive but having a safe, reliable driver is worth the cost.
I just scheduled a ride to go from Manhattan Beach to LAX and the fee is $25 for three passengers and two bags. The price went up $3 for each extra bag and $9 for each extra passenger. UberX on the other hand was $17.23 (though prices weren’t surging). I would still choose Uber (good to know: 10 Uber Tips That Will Totally Improve Your Next Experience) but it’s a good option to know about and try.
Currently, they pick up in 14 cities and 23 airports (listed below).
- Austin-Bergstrom Int’l Airport (AUS)
- Dallas Love Field (DAL)
- Dallas/Fort Worth Int’l Airport (DFW)
- George Bush Intercon. Airport (IAH)
- William P. Hobby Airport (HOU)
- Burbank Bob Hope Airport (BUR)
- John Wayne Airport (SNA)
- LA/Ontario Int’l Airport (ONT)
- Long Beach Airport (LGB)
- Los Angeles Int’l Airport (LAX – drop off only)
- Miami Int’l Airport (MIA)
- Orlando Int’l Airport (MCO)
- Phoenix Sky Harbor Int’l Airport (PHX)
- Portland Int’l Airport (PDX)
- Sacramento Int’l Airport (SMF)
- San Antonio Int’l Airport (SAT)
- San Diego Int’l Airport (SAN)
- Seattle-Tacoma Int’l Airport (SEA)
SF Bay Area
- Mineta San Jose Int’l Airport (SJC)
- Oakland Int’l Airport (OAK)
- San Francisco Int’l Airport (SFO)
- Tampa Int’l Airport (TPA)