Last night I visited Pinterest’s headquarters in San Francisco for their big travel reveal. What was it? As you’ll see Pinterest CEO Ben Silbermann explain in the video below, the company is introducing a new type of pin called Place Pins. Place Pins allow users to map out the locations of all the items they share on their pinboards.
With this move, Pinterest is hoping it will become the place where people go to plan their future trips. Place Pins, Pinterest hopes, will help people turn their travel inspirations into reality—whether they’re planning for a vacation abroad or a road trip across the US, or mapping out the restaurants they want to try in their own cities or their favorite destinations in your home town. Here are some facts about Place Pins and Pinterest that were posted on the company’s blog:
- Each day, people pin nearly 1.5 million destinations they want to see, and there are already more than 750 million pins of these places on Pinterest.
- Place Pins combine the beautiful imagery of a travel magazine with the utility of a map, and put it all online so that you can share it with friends.
- They’re easy to use, useful, and look and feel natural to Pinterest. You can see details like the address of the place, phone number, and more.
- You can access these Pins from anywhere on your smartphone, letting you add and find new places on the go, and you can now send a board of suggestions to a friend.
- Place pins are not part of our Promoted Pins experiment; they’re just another way we’re trying to make pins more useful.
As part of the big reveal, Pinterest teamed up some big names in travel for inspiration in creating some creative Place Pin boards, and you can check out some examples in their gallery. You can also find images of Place Pins available for download here.