Summer is just around the corner in the Northern Hemisphere, and for many people, that means peak travel season. So where are people heading in the largest numbers (and what places should you try to avoid) this year? An analysis of AAA Travel‘s summer travel bookings revealed the most visited places between June 1 and August 15. First, the top 10 domestic cities:
- Orlando, Florida
- Honolulu, Hawaii
- Anchorage, Alaska
- Seattle, Washington
- Los Angeles/Anaheim, California
- Maui, Hawaii
- Fairbanks, Alaska
- Las Vegas, Nevada
- Boston, Massachusetts
- Salt Lake City, Utah
Next, the top ten international cities, again ranked by the number of Americans expected to visit:
- Rome, Italy
- Vancouver, British Columbia
- Dublin, Ireland
- London, England
- Paris, France
- Montego Bay, Jamaica
- Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
- Calgary, Alberta
- Cancun, Mexico
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
“This is shaping up to be another banner season for travel as Americans look to get out and enjoy themselves in the summer sun,” said Bill Sutherland, senior vice president, AAA Travel and Publishing. “Travelers are making plans now to visit theme parks, sail away on cruise vacations, relax at the beach and explore cities in the U.S. and across the globe.”
Bonus: AAA Travel also offers a few tips to those planning road trips this summer. Among them:
- Safety first – If driving, get plenty of rest before setting out on your road trip. Schedule breaks every two hours or 100 miles to remain alert and avoid driving drowsy.
- Make sure your vehicle is road trip ready – Take your vehicle to a trusted repair facility to perform any needed maintenance before heading out. Pack an emergency kit that includes a mobile phone and car charger, a flashlight with extra batteries, a first-aid kit, a basic toolkit, and drinking water and snacks for all passengers.
Have your own tip? Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,189!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Just fill in your email address and check the Daily Travel Tip box—and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box on the same page and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.