This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
If you’re a Citi ThankYou Rewards fan, there’s a card that might interest you. The Citi Rewards+® Card is a $0 annual fee card that not only lets you earn unlimited points but it also rounds up points earned on purchases. You will earn 2x points per $1 spent at supermarkets and gas stations (on the first $6,000 annually, then 1x point per $1 after). You’ll also earn an unlimited 1x point per $1 on all non-bonus categories.
You will be able to redeem your points for travel rewards and gift cards and select online retail partners. Because this card doesn’t have an annual fee, don’t plan on having access to the Citi airline transfer partners that you get with ThankYou credit cards that charge an annual fee. However, there is still plenty to like about this card.
Learn more: Citi Rewards+® Card
Citi Rewards+ Rounds Up All Odd Purchase Rewards
The main draw for the Citi Rewards+® Card is point roundups on purchases to the nearest 10 ThankYou points. This bonus is for every purchase regardless of the purchase amount.
Here are a few examples of how the spending roundup works:
- $3 coffee purchase: 10 ThankYou Points (3 base points plus 7 roundup points)
- $12 lunch purchase: 20 ThankYou Points (12 base points plus 8 roundup points)
- $27 gasoline purchase: 60 ThankYou Points (54 base points plus 6 roundup points)
While other rewards credit cards only give you the normal purchase rewards for each dollar you spend, Citi gives you the applicable purchase rewards and gives you up to 9 extra points. Your points balance will always end in zero.
One reason Citi is offering spending roundups is to help you maximize the value of small purchases. According to Citi’s research, Americans make 14 routine purchases each week but only use a rewards credit card for 28% of these daily purchases. Citi hopes these purchase reward roundups will entice you to use the Citi Rewards+® Card instead of cash.
Get 10% of Your Redeemed ThankYou Points Back
Each year, you can get 10% of the first 100,000 points you redeem back for future redemptions. Maxing out this redemption bonus puts 10,000 points back into your pocket. This bonus is worth another $100 in rewards.
You will earn this bonus regardless of how you redeem your ThankYou points. Once again, some redemption options include:
- Gift Cards
- Travel Rewards
- Shop with Points at Select Online Partners
- Online Bill Pay
The maximum value for each point is going to be 1 cent each. Including the 10% redemption bonus makes each point worth 1.1 cents each. Although there are multiple redemption options, you should still keep your points for the most valuable redemption options.
Earn the Signup Bonus
New cardholders can earn 20,000 bonus points after spending $1,500 in purchases with their card within 3 months of account opening, redeemable for $200 in gift cards at thankyou.com.
Learn more: Citi Rewards+® Card
Other Citi Rewards+ Benefits
As a Citi ThankYou cardholder, you can also enjoy these Citi travel benefits:
- Citi Private Pass access to ticket presales and VIP experiences
- Trip Cancellation and Interruption Protection
- Worldwide Car Rental Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Accident Insurance
- Damage and Theft Protection
- Extended Warranty
- 90-Day Return Protection
You probably won’t apply for the Citi Rewards+® Card specifically for these benefits. But, they are worth keeping in mind.
Should You Apply For The Citi Rewards+?
This addition to the Citi ThankYou family can be a worthy addition for these reasons:
- You want a no-annual fee rewards credit card
- Prefer purchase reward roundups and a 10% redemption bonus
- Want to maximize your grocery and gas station purchases
- Have other Citi credit cards that earn ThankYou points
If you currently pay for your small purchases with cash or debit, this card is one of the best for small purchases.
The rewards point roundups and 10% redemption bonus are the two most valuable benefits of this card. The fact that you don’t pay an annual fee and the Rewards+ is a Mastercard with near-universal acceptance means it can be your new primary or secondary credit card.
However, note that you will need an excellent credit score to get this card.
But, other rewards credit cards can still offer better purchase rewards and redemption options. And, you don’t have to pay an annual fee.
The Blue Cash Everyday Card from American Express
One of the most similar alternates is The Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express.
You don’t get the spending roundups, but you can enjoy higher purchase rewards if you prefer cash rewards:
- 3% cash back at U.S. supermarkets (up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1%)
- 3% cash back at U.S. gas stations (up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1%)
- Plus, 3% cash back on U.S. online retail purchases (up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1%)
- 1% cash back on general purchases
Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be redeemed for statement credits. It’s possible to redeem your cash rewards for statement credits, gift cards, and online shopping credits.
The Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express welcome bonus is the ability to earn a $200 statement credit after spending $2,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 6 months.
Learn more: Cash Back Credit Cards
There is no annual fee for this card (See Rates & Fees).
Chase Freedom Unlimited
There’s also a $0 annual fee Chase option if you prefer building a relationship with Chase. With the Chase Freedom Unlimited®, you can earn at least 1.5x points per $1 for all spending. Plus, you don’t have to worry about activating any bonus categories.
Cardholders earn unlimited:
- 5% cash back on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 3% cash back on dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery services
- 3% cash back on drugstore purchases
- 1.5% cash back on all other purchases
However, as a new cardholder, you can earn even more. New Chase Freedom Unlimited® cardholders can earn an additional 1.5% cash back on everything they buy (on up to $20,000 spent in the first year) – worth up to $300 cash back! That means new cardholders can enjoy:
- 6.5% cash back on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards® (Chase’s premier rewards program that lets you redeem rewards for cash back, travel, gift cards, and more)
- 4.5% cash back on drugstore purchases
- 4.5% on dining at restaurants (including takeout and eligible delivery service)
- 3% on all other purchases
New cardholders earn this extra 1.5% cash back on up to $20,000 spent in the first year.
Read more about this option in our Chase Freedom Unlimited review.
The Citi Rewards+® Card doesn’t charge an annual fee and your “odd” purchase rewards round up to the nearest 10 points. You also get a 10% redemption bonus. You can redeem your points for travel, cash, or gift cards. This card can help you maximize your daily spending, namely small-dollar purchases.
Learn more: Citi Rewards+® Card
- Best Credit Card Rewards For Road Trips
- Best Credit Cards For Dining, Restaurants, Takeout, & More
- Why You Should Think About Trying For The Citi Premier Card
For rates and fees of the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express, click here.